Monday, April 13, 2015
30 Of My Own Life's Little Instructions
I read "Life's Little Instruction Book" by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. a little while ago. It was an inspiration for me to write my own life's little instructions: things I learned, experienced, or just came up with along the way. Here they are:
1. Write on colored paper-it's fun and opens up the imagination.
2. Throw your garbage out at the movie theater or anywhere else for that matter.
3. Trust your instincts-if it does not feel or sound right, it isn't.
4. If you question whether or not you should do something, don't do it. The fact that you are asking is your answer.
5. Treat yourself to at least one thing every month.
6. Keep a list of the books you read. Pass them on to your family or friends when you are done.
7. Read at least one book a month.
8. Take pictures of unusual things.
9. Make a portfolio of your favorite pictures and share them.
10. Write something that you want to remember for each day.
11. Take a class in something you have a passion for: photography, writing, floral arranging, drawing
12. Be open to change, opportunities may lie in something new.
13. Be thankful for a bed to sleep on.
14. Be happy with "just enough"- you will discover it meets all your needs.
15. Pray every day.
16. Read or do something that inspires or motivates you.
17. Don't beat yourself up about past mistakes or choices. Life is too short for that.
18. When you see an opportunity for an act of kindness, do it.
19. Visit the local library and donate books you no longer want.
20. Wash your clothes at the laundromat-it will give you a whole new perspective on every day life.
21. Rent an apartment, it gives you freedom to move without being stuck in one place.
22. Take care of your car, do the required maintenance when it is due.
23. Make your own greeting cards-add your own personal touch with a picture, sentiment or memory of the person you are making it for.
24. Don't let go of your dreams, no matter how impossible they may seem.
25. Write goals and stick to them - it will give you something to look forward to and work towards.
26. Be Nice. Be supportive. Be assertive. Be real.
27. Smile often - a smile may turn someone's day around.
28. It is okay to do nothing, and not feel guilty about it.
29. Make your own memories, do not wait for them to happen.
30. Believe in fairy tales, love, and most of all yourself.
What life's little instructions can you share?